Little Andaman is the 4th largest island in the Andaman islands. Lies at the Southern end of the Archipelago. In great Andaman it is seperated from Rutland island by the Duncan passage. Tourists season are between the months of November to April. Consists of Palm Oil plantations. And it consists of 4 graam panchayats.
This island is said to be a virgin i.e. the island has quite very low tourist attractions compared to that of other parts of Andaman & Nicobar.
Located at: It is located at the southern end of the Archipelago and it’s at a distance of 120km from Port Blair.
Every place has its own History and Geography which makes it more interesting and makes it the best reason for travelling purpose. Cultivation & Fisheries are the jobs of people since several decades. Due to the advancement in the technology Oil plantation Industries are also setup. This is the home of Onge aboriginal tribe that existed in little Andaman. They named the island as “Egu Belong”. Also settlers from Bangladesh are also present there.
The low lying island has very few attractions but it has a widespread rainforest and serves as a homeplace for many species of Marine turtle. The island has white sandy beaches and excellent waterfalls. The areas offer and entertain with Surfing, boating through the creeks, elephant safaris, Elephant Lumbering & Elephant caves training.
Local Languages spoken: Tamil, Bengali,
Waterfalls are of the ultimate attraction in Little Andaman. But the tourists are advised not to swim in Waterfalls due to the existence of Crocodiles.
- White Surf Waterfalls is located in the midst of a tropical forest. Aslo elephant Safaris are available.
- Other waterfall that attracts the tourists is the Whisper wave waterfalls. It’s located in the midst of Jungle surrounded by Bamboo grass. The trip to these waterfalls are like going on a hike.
- Bala Reef: Bala reef is a reef that consists of multiple coral gardens and one can spot various types of fish. Adventures like Scuba diving are highly encouraged.
- Beaches: There are 2 famous beaches in Little Andaman. They are Butler Bay Beach & Netaji Nagar Beach
- Butler Bay Beach: It’s a virgin beach that offers a long sandy shore. ANIFPDCL maintains the beach and it offers Nicobaree style cottages to the Tourists at a reasonable payment. But the sea is quite rough with crocodiles wandering. It’s a place to take rest. There’s also a Boat ride from Butler Bay to Palm Oil factory is quite interesting. It’s an excellent place for sun basking, coral viewing and surfing.
- Netaji Nagar Beach: This is another beach that attracts less tourists and located along the roadside of the village.
- Dams: There are two dams in Little Andaman namely Ramakrishnapur and Vivekanadapuram. These are not yet explored by the tourists but these are the potential attractions of Little Andaman.
- Travel around the areas in bikes. Also Buses, Auto-rickshaws are also available for the transportation of Tourists. And the people are also friendly. You can get free lifts too if you’re lucky.
Important: Entry to Little Andaman is only from Port Blair where 7 to 9 hours voyage is required. Stay facilities are also limited in Little Andaman.